Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Oh look, it's Tuesday!

I mean "TWOsday!" Time for me to share with you two things that are influencing me at the moment:

1)First thing's first...music. Music always inspires me. Depending on the genre, music can make you feel every range of emotion; it can make you smile, make you dance, make you cry, make you laugh, make you tense, make you want to do something...music activates your senses. Personally, I can't even begin to pick a favorite genre; I'll listen to pretty much any and everything. There are, of course, songs that I am more partial to than others, maybe because of how I feel at a particular moment, but right now I feel like dancing...kidding...have you seen me dance? I can't dance...I can fall, I can fall ungracefully with arms flailing, kicking and screaming...that's my "dancing." So instead of dancing, I feel like something new...something to amuse me...something like a muse...Oh hey! Muse has a new song out!
I love that song...I love that band! The song "Madness" details the trials and tribulations of a relationship between two people; however, it pretty much sums up the love-hate relationship I have with my art. When you put your all into something, it seems to tear away at you too. All of Muse's songs seem to be able to take exactly how I've felt at times and turn the emotion into lyrics and music. Now I'm really going to sound like an art student, but their music is so cerebral. I don't know if it's the marvelously organized compositions of their songs or Matthew Bellamy's amazing vocal range; maybe it's the synthesized sound. Who doesn't love a good synthesizer? Come on now, you know you do...why else would Christopher Wolstenholme be using a Misa Kitara in the song "Madness?" Because synthesizers are awesome! When I've got the inspiration to create something, most often I'll use Muse as my muse and be able to crank out several ideas for pieces.

2) My second inspiration for the moment is the quote, "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others," by Ayn Rand. If you're reading that name and saying to yourself, "Who in the world is Ayn Rand?" Slap yourself one good time...shame on you...now go to Amazon, a library, your local bookstore, etc. and get yourself a copy of the books: Anthem, We The Living, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged. Read them.

Ayn Rand is my favorite author; her work is amazing. While her reasoning is a little more ego-based and she even created her own philosophical belief system called "Objectivism," I still love her work. While I'm definitely an altruist and Ayn Rand rejects the notion of ethical altruism, her work speaks to me. The first book I read by Ayn Rand was Anthem and I couldn't put it down. I don't want to spoil the plot (and the twist) for you if you haven't read it, but wow...just like Rand's quote above, her main characters are driven by the desire to succeed, thinking and reasoning on a higher plane than the rest of the material-focused society. And it is very important to realize that there is actually a fine line between achieving and beating others. Achievement is the reward for hard work completed and finding one's own way of completing a task, not just finishing first. And yes, maybe in order to achieve, you have to be a little selfish. But if you're only concerned with beating everyone else, then you have a juvenile mindset and you won't achieve anything; you won't grow mentally or intellectually. You might not be the best painter or designer, but if you put aside emulous ways and just create and share from your heart, then YOU will be recognized for what YOU have completed. Now go out there, go be motivated to achieve!


No comments:

Post a Comment